Home

Events



News

5 days ago

Coeymans Hollow Volunteer Fire Company

The driver of a Subaru that rolled over escaped without any injury.

Coeymans Hollow Fire/EMS, Ravena Rescue, Albany County Paramedics, Coeymans Police and Albany County Sheriff's Department were called to Starr Road between Payne Road and Tracey Road for a high-velocity rollover accident around 12:15 p.m. on Wednesday, April 17th.

The driver of the vehicle got out on his own and declined transport after he was evaluated by EMS.

There were two dogs also inside the vehicle. One of the dogs stayed with the driver, the other ran off following the crash. The dog that did not run away had a small cut on its face, but that was the only apparent injury.

"Once the patient was medically cleared, our crew, along with other agencies, canvassed the area looking for the other dog," said Travis Witbeck on a post made on the Ravena Rescue Squad Facebook page. "[Ambulance] 5889's crew located the dog in the area of 89 Payne Road, but were not able to secure it."

Kevin Pierce, a member of Ravena Rescue Squad that responded to the call, later confirmed that the dog was found in the area and was transported to the Upstate Veterinary Hospital by Coeymans Police. The dog had a laceration on its side, but is OK other than that.

"We specialize in emergency medical care of people," said Witbeck. "But completely understand the importance of our furry friends."
... See MoreSee Less

 

Comment on Facebook

Good work by our First Responders. Thanks to you all.

7 days ago

Coeymans Hollow Volunteer Fire Company

A 2 1/2 story garage completely destroyed by fire late Sunday night, into early Monday morning in South Bethlehem.

Just before 10:30 p.m. on Sunday, April 14, the Selkirk Fire Department and Delmar-Bethlehem EMS were called to 66 Willowbrook Ave for a possible fire in a detached garage.

Units arrived to find the garage fully-involved and declared a signal 30, indicating a working structure fire.

Coeymans Hollow Fire responded as mutual aid, as well as members from Delmar and Elsmere fire departments with the FAST Team.

This fire was difficult for crews to fight. There were propane hazards, as well as the pouring rain creating muddy conditions.

"This structure was back off the road with the neighboring garage close by with a large propane tank right along side of it," read a post on the Selkirk Fire Department's Facebook page by Chief Joe Michaniw. "A lack of space and ground support limited the work to just ground ladders and handwork."

Firefighters had a difficult time fully extinguishing the blaze due to the metal roof making access to the fire more difficult.

"The structure had to be knocked to the ground in order for the firefighters to fully extinguish all of the burning debris due to the metal roof and lack of access," read the post.

The home at 66 Willowbrook, as well as the neighboring garage, received some heat damage.

Fire investigators from the Bethlehem Police Department were on the scene and are still working on a cause at this time.
... See MoreSee Less

1 week ago

Coeymans Hollow Volunteer Fire Company

Selkirk Fire Department members ended their Sunday night and began their Monday morning fighting a fully involved 2 1/2 story garage fire in the South Bethlehem area. A big shout out and thank you all the members that put in the time in the pouring rain till the early morning hours. Also having our backs at this fire were the firefighters from Coeymans Hollow. Thank you to them and the Delmar and Elsmere FAST team for their support.

This fire was very stubborn. This structure was back off the road with the neighboring garage close by with a large propane tank right along side of it. A lack of space and ground support limited the work to just ground ladders and handwork. Interior walls and roofs in the second story and a metal roof limited firefighters attack strategies.

Fire investigators were on scene and are in the process of determining the cause, The structure had to be knocked to the ground in order for the firefighters to fully extinguish all of the burning debris due to the metal roof and lack of access.

Again, thank you to all who helped out considering the early morning hours and the rain all night long. And also thank you to our Ladies Auxiliary members who showed up with coffee, water, Gatorade, and hot food. Thank You to R Pizza House who got up to open their kitchen to make food just for the firefighters working the fire..

Chief Joe Michaniw (401)
... See MoreSee Less

Load more posts